- How to access Ubuntu remote desktop from Windows 10
- Two systems are not sharing the same network. (i.e., need to access through outside internet)
- Assume the internet provider is Verizon and we are using their router.
- Open a terminal and install xrdp and xorgxrdp
sudo apt-get install xrdp xorgxrdp
2. Port Forwarding:
2.1. Check your IP address
-> go to Google and search ‘what is my IP’
2.2. Change the Verizon router setting
Go to the Verizon Router setting page: https://xxx.xxx.1.1/
Click Firewall -> click Port Forwarding -> find your device by the local ip you get from the above -> choose Custom Ports -> change port number to 3389, which is the default port used by xrdp
3. Check xrdp
sudo service xrdp restart sudo netstat -antp
If tcp6 0 0 ::: 3389 :::* LISTEN xxxx/xrdp, then done!
4. From Windows 10, open remoted desktop connection
Enter global ip:3389 (e.g. 192.168.1.211:3389)